Saturday, October 3, 2009

Nauvoo

I was able to have a girls weekend to Nauvoo a couple weekends ago with some friends from here. We drove there after our husbands came home on Friday night so we did not get there until late Friday. Which I have to say thank goodness for GPS we got lost a couple of times because you kind of take back roads to get there. So "Lola" our GPS guide got us back on track each time thank heavens :) but we were able to go through a session on Saturday which was really neat. At the temple they were nice and showed us Joseph Smith's sword and some keys to the original temple. They could tell we were new and had never been there so one of the workers asked if we would like to see them. So, if any of you have a chance to go here ask if you can see them! They are pretty cool.

Joseph and Hyrum Smith, sorry I took the picture on Friday night I did not have a chance to go back and take one during the day. But behind this statue is just an open grassy area. On the tour they told us that the grassy area used to be filled with houses! It was really sad to know that all of those houses are no longer there.

This is the view from our room out on the balcony pretty cool huh. On Saturday morning I got up really early and went and read my scriptures during the sunrise it was really neat to read the Book of Mormon and watch the sun start to rise on the temple. Very cool experience!

This is at the Women's garden that they have behind the visitors center. These are some of the girls that I went with. Very funny girls! I think we laughed most of the time. It was great fun.


This is where we stayed at for the night. That balcony leads into our bedroom. It was a really nice room!

Here are some more pictures of the women's garden. The statues are set up so you can see the progression of a women's life starting at young women's, dating, motherhood and finally to "fulfillment" as the last statue is named. :) Very neat place.



2 comments:

Chelsi said...

So awesome! Glad you got to get away. Sounds like a neat experience.

Sarah said...

I think ti's funny that you got lost even with a GPS. I've been several times and still get lost.
That sounds like it was such a fun trip!